Emergency Management Agency
2523 East Highway 76
Marion, SC 29571
Phone: (843) 431-5009
Monday - Friday
8:30 am- 5:00 pm
The chief executive of local government is by law in charge or in command during an emergency. The Emergency Manager serves as the chief of staff to the chief executive during emergency operations. During day to day operations, the Emergency Manager acts on the behalf of the chief executive to build local readiness by developing local emergency plans in coordination with community business, industry, and emergency response agencies.
FOR CURRENT ROAD CONDITIONS - Click Here
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the Emergency Management Director include, but are not limited to the following:
- Supervise, coordinate, and maintain the daily operations of the Marion County Emergency Management Agency.
- Maintain the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) in a state of readiness.
- Maintains communication and coordination with local and state governmental agencies, utilities, and industry during any emergency.
- Prepares and revises the County Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
- Assists local governmental departments/agencies in the development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in support of the EOP.
- Reviews and makes recommendations to businesses, industries, hospitals, and nursing homes on the preparation of their emergency plans.
- Develops and coordinates mutual aid agreements with other agencies and adjacent counties.
- Prepares and manages the MCEMA budget.
- Manages the Local Emergency Management Performance Grant (LEMPG).
- Prepares and executes training exercises.
- Working with the Red Cross ensures that adequate civilian shelters are established.
- On a 24-hour basis responds to hazardous material incidents, bomb threats, severe weather, major fires, search and rescue operations, and other natural or man-made emergencies.
- Manages the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC).
- Answers inquiries from citizens concerning emergency plans and procedures.